Vacations are supposed to be a time when everyone in the family gets to relax and enjoy the things in life that school and work typically push to the sidelines. We all know, however, that that isn’t always how it works out. At Janz Family Dental we offer children’s dental care, 24 hour emergency dental care and regular trips to the dentist for an annual cleaning. If you need to visit a dentist’s clinic in the Edmonton area, we’re here for all your dental needs. We know, however, that you’re not always in the immediate vicinity of our dental clinic. That doesn’t stop toothache from happening though. A lot of different things can cause toothache. For example:
- Tooth decay is the most common cause of toothache. It occurs when the acid produced by bacteria that live in plaque in your mouth breaks down your teeth’s enamel, exposing the sensitive layers below.
- Inflammation or infection of the gums caused by things such as gingivitis can lead to severe pain in your teeth.
- If you’ve experienced any trauma to your teeth, from chipping to cracking to having a tooth knocked out, it can be quite painful.
- It may seem counter intuitive but some kinds of sinus infection can be felt as tooth pain.
Of course, if you’re stuck somewhere far from your dentist with severe toothache, you may not care very much why it’s happening. You simply want it to stop. Here are just a few emergency measures you can take to tide you over until you can visit one of our dentists for your emergency at Janz Family Dental in Edmonton:
- Flossing to remove any debris stuck in between your teeth or gums can sometimes relieve pain.
- Rinse your mouth with hot water to wash any debris that is irritating a cavity in your enamel.
- If the pain is severe, you can take an over-the-counter(OTC) pain reliever to take the edge off the worst of the pain.
- In extreme cases you may even want to take an OTC benzocaine product. Depending on which product you get, they can be strong so it’s best to avoid medicating yourself unless it’s necessary. Be sure to consult with a pharmacist before taking any strong medication to ensure that you won’t have any adverse reactions.
- If you’ve experienced any trauma to your teeth, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth.
At Janz Family Dental, we know that things don’t always go as planned. That’s why we offer 24 hour emergency dental services in addition to our children’s dentist services and regular teeth cleaning services. If you have an emergency, don’t hesitate to contact our dentists at our clinic in Edmonton today.