Having a dental emergency can be confusing as you won’t know when it’s necessary to seek the help of an emergency dentist. Accidents can happen at any time, during the day or night. Some may need immediate treatment while others can wait.
The dentists at Janz Family Dental provide various dental care services to clients in Edmonton. We make the treatment process as smooth as possible for you. We also provide all the needed information and support during the aftercare process. In this blog, let’s see what the common dental emergencies are and what you should do regarding them. 1. Toothache – To handle a toothache, do the following:
- Rinse your mouth with lukewarm salt water
- Take a painkiller such as acetaminophen
- Gently rub your gum area with an antiseptic
- Keep a cold compress on your cheek to reduce swelling
- Make an appointment with your dentist
2. Tooth trauma A tooth trauma occurs when a tooth gets knocked out or chipped. Some tips that you should follow when a tooth trauma occurs are: If a tooth gets knocked out, find the tooth and rinse it with cold water. Do not scrub the tooth because scrubbing will remove pieces of tissue. For the dental emergencies teeth should be held in your mouth to hold the same osmolarity. If that is not possible then keep the tooth in a holder of milk or water and go to your emergency dentist right away. For a chipped or broken tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water and later put cold compresses to reduce swelling. Try to locate the broken part and consult your dentist as soon as possible. Immediate treatment can prevent infection and help save your tooth. 3. Bitten lip or tongue If you accidently bit your lip or tongue, wash the area gently and place a cold compress to reduce any swelling. If the bleeding doesn’t stop, head to the nearest hospital.
HOW TO PREVENT DENTAL INJURIES
Certain precautions that can safeguard you from dental injuries are:
- Wearing a mouth guard while playing sports
- Always using a seatbelt while riding a car
- Childproofing your home to prevent falls and other injuries of your kids
- Scheduling regular dental visits for you and your family
NEED EMERGENCY DENTAL CARE SERVICES
If you have lost a tooth in an accident or are having intolerable pain in your mouth, you need the help of an emergency dentist. Count on Janz Family Dental for emergency dental services for dental problems including chipped teeth and tooth pain. Read our blog – Debunking 4 Common Dental Myths – to learn about common dental myths.
Contact us for emergency dental services and other dental care needs.