We like to do everything we can to help our patients take care of their teeth, even when you’re not in the dentist’s chair for your annual teeth cleaning.
That includes letting you know a few things you can do when you’re stuck somewhere without a toothbrush. Maybe you have a busy day at work and don’t have time to go home, you’ve simply forgotten your toothbrush while on a trip or just want a way to freshen up during a day running around Edmonton. Although there’s no real substitute for a good brushing, here are a few ways to freshen up your mouth without a toothbrush:
- Even if you don’t have your brush, floss and mouthwash can still achieve a lot. Not having your brush doesn’t mean you can’t still to do other parts of your oral health routine.
- Before there was the toothbrush, there was the toothpick. Although brushes are much more efficient, you can still attack some more obvious plaque and debris with a toothpick.
- You may not have your brush to get in the nooks and crannies, but that doesn’t stop the fluoride in your toothpaste from being beneficial to you teeth. Put a dollop of it on a sheet of paper towel and use it as you would a brush. It’s not perfect but it’ll do in a pinch.
- Chewing gum can help get rid of the worst of the debris from your meal. Just be sure you use sugar-free gum!
- Believe it or not, eating cheese can help with your oral health when there isn’t another option. Cheese is low in harmful sugar and has enzymes in it that can aid in breaking down the leftover bits of food in your mouth.
- Crunchy fruits and veggies, like gum, can act as a kind of brush and help get plaque off your teeth. One more reason to take a nice apple, piece of celery, or a baby carrot for an afternoon snack.
- One last way to protect your oral health is to simply avoid sugar and starch if you don’t have a brush with you. It’s not a permanent solution (who can stay away from them forever?) but there’s no need to make a bad situation worse.
If you need a teeth cleaning, 24 hour emergency dentist care, or kids’ dentist care, contact us at Janz Family Dental today. A dentist at our Edmonton clinic can make recommendations on how you can easily stick to your oral health routine, no matter what life throws at you.